Serial port sniffing problem

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 08:12:39 CST 2016

On 4 December 2016 at 18:17, Bill Lionheart <billlionheart at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried socat with a virtual serial port but I could only see what the
> config program sent and it got no reply. And slsniff ,sltrace and
> jpnevulator. All prevented the config program seeing the device.
> Morre details on my post
> https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28031 on Wine-hq forum
>
>From that post it sounds like the communication from the
application/Wine to the sniffer is working fine, but either the
communication from the sniffer to the device or from the device back
to the sniffer not so much. My first guess would be to look at the way
the sniffer communicates with the serial port (rate, etc.), but
perhaps you've already verified that.

> I also tried usb monitoring with wireshark and it did not stop the
> program running but I didnt understand the output and I couldnt see
> anything I expected so maybe I just didnt get it. Just now though
>
> Actually just now I tried tshark following exactly this suggestion
> https://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/ccid-usb-spy-using-wireshark.html,
> this worked perfectly and did not prevent the two way serial
> communications.
>
> So the moral of this problem is for serial port sniffing of a Windows
> program running under Wine, tshark. As I understand it tshark is just
> command line wire shark. Main thing is it just worked and saved all
> the serial traffic in a file.

Glad you got it to work somehow. It's certainly odd that wireshark
wouldn't work right while tshark would, since they're capturing the
traffic in the same way. Since usbmon is more of a generic USB monitor
though, is there any chance wireshark was capturing traffic from a
different USB device, like e.g. a USB mouse?