Serial port sniffing problem

Bill Lionheart billlionheart at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 11:17:20 CST 2016

Thanks for your reply Henri,

I tried socat with a virtual serial port but I could only see what the
config program sent and it got no reply. And slsniff ,sltrace and
jpnevulator. All prevented the config program seeing the device.
Morre details on my post
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28031 on Wine-hq forum

I also tried usb monitoring with wireshark and it did not stop the
program running but I didnt understand the output and I couldnt see
anything I expected so maybe I just didnt get it. Just now though

Actually just now I tried tshark following exactly this suggestion
https://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/ccid-usb-spy-using-wireshark.html,
this worked perfectly and did not prevent the two way serial
communications.

So the moral of this problem is for serial port sniffing of a Windows
program running under Wine, tshark. As I understand it tshark is just
command line wire shark. Main thing is it just worked and saved all
the serial traffic in a file.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement  (including emails off the
list), and for Bob Wye for encouraging me to post on wine-devel. I
hope this will also be of some help in the future for wine developers
in diagnosing serial communications problems to know that tshark is
probably worth trying first (for a USB to serial converter at least)

Best wishes

Bill

--
Professor of Applied Mathematics