IMM / IME work

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Thu Jun 16 13:24:09 CDT 2016

On Jun 16, 2016, at 7:23 AM, Aric Stewart <aric at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> On 6/13/16 11:45 AM, James Osbourn wrote:
>
>> I want to run a Korean IME in Wine on my Mac OS X.  The normal keystroke to
>> convert Hangeul to HanJa (that is, Korean alphabetic to the Chinese
>> character equivalent) is just the Right-side Ctrl key (rctrl) which does not
>> exist on a Mac Keyboard, it is only available on the IBM 101/102 keyboards.
>> Do you have any experience with driving a Wine IME handler from a Mac?

> For the Right-side Ctrl problem There may be a way to emulate it or hack something so that the right command functions as right control. But I am going to bring Ken Thomases into this since he is the expert there.

Well, it's not true that Mac keyboards in general lack a right-Control key.  I'm using an Apple keyboard with one right now.

But, anyway, there is not currently any way to simulate one via software in the Mac driver.  There's a slim chance that fn-Control would do that at the hardware or OS level.  There are third-party programs that allow you to remap keys.  A quick web search turns up Karabiner <https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/>, but I can't vouch for it.

-Ken