GSoC Idea: Tools - Winetest Scripting Interface

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Mar 15 05:41:25 CDT 2016

On Mon, 7 Mar 2016, Zhenbo Li wrote:
[...]
> So we can do
>
> winetest -c -t <tag> -m <email> -o result_with_old_driver.txt d3dx9_36
> d3d9 d3d8 etc.
> blah...
> winetest -c -t <tag> -m <email> -o result_with_new_driver.txt d3dx9_36
> d3d9 d3d8 etc.
>
> Then compare these two results with external tools(like diff or vimdiff)

Yes. The missing part is the comparison where it's mostly going to be
diff. The TestBot's WineSendLog script has a CompareLogs() function to
only report new failures to patch submitters (behind the scenes it uses
Algorithm::Diff). Maybe that can be useful to you:

https://source.winehq.org/git/tools.git/blob/HEAD:/testbot/bin/WineSendLog.pl#l139

> > > With the script, he could type
> > > wine_test_suite --test_all --output result.txt
> > > And Bob can get everything he wants after his lunch.
> > >
> > winetest can do this.

Actually it's more that WineTest does this by default. But make can do
it too:
    make -k test

[...]
> Will it be too complicated if we allow developers to declare dynamic
> dependency manually?
> For example, I can add a line
> ## DEPENDENCY msxml3
> in dlls/mshtml/Makefile.in
> to declare that mshtml.dll will depend on msxml3.dll dynamically.

Something like could be useful if the TestBot is to ever run the tests
on Wine too. The alternative is to always run all the tests and either
trust that they have zero failures by default anyway (which is the
goal), or that a diff will find new ones.

May your Tongue stick to the Roof of your Mouth with the Force of a Thousand Caramels.