[GSoC] Support of pluggable theming engines

Ivan Akulinchev ivan.akulinchev at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 12:24:44 CDT 2016

Hi André!

Well, I didn't do exact calculations. But as I wrote, the theming
support in comctl32.dll done wrong. As far I know, the authors are aware
of this, but have no time or wish to fix it (just see their tests marked
as todo_wine, all this tests done right).

> Is it currently needed for the gtk3 code in wine-staging?

Yep. Try to run winecfg, select any theme, launch any application. Find
a themed button, push it and hold. See what's happend? There was a patch
for fixing it [1], another one [can't find a link], but all this patches
were not accepted, because the common problem lies above.

Now open notepad, click Help -> About, see what's happend? The whole
dialog is not themed! I already tryed to locate this problem.
shell32.dll called user32.dll, which created a dialog. But user32 has
it's own controls and wasn't aware comctl32.dll has another. That's
because the theming support in comctl32.dll done in the wrong way.

The whole theming support in comctl32 is a big hack. So I can write some
hacks for hacks, but why? What should do the next guy, who decides to
add some hacks for hacks for hacks? :-) It's a dead way...

[1] https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2015-August/141599.html