Need some advice on shell32

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Mar 29 21:50:52 CDT 2016

Mathy Vanvoorden <mathy at vanvoorden.be> writes:

>     I don't know why shell32 does this at all, rather than going
>     through
>     kernel32/ntdll like the rest of Wine.
>

> My best guess is that shell32 existed before ntdll?
>
> So should I rewrite it to use ntdll then?
>
> Anyone else that can comment on this?

The goal of the shell Unix folder is to show a view of the filesystem as
you would see it in a native Unix app, and it's using direct Unix calls
in order to do that. It allows showing symlinks, device files, etc. even
when we have to hide them in ntdll to avoid breaking apps. So I'm not
sure that replicating ntdll behavior's would be the right thing here.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org