Wineconf wrap up

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Mon Nov 14 10:31:29 CST 2016

Hi Folks,

I thought I would take a minute to write a summary of the events of the
weekend, and that start a thread where others could chime in.

It was a great event; a traditional wineconf with cheer and
conversations, and even sometimes productive meetings.

Here were our working notes for the weekend:
  https://www.winehq.org/~jwhite/wineconf_2016.pdf

The plan for next year is to have the Wine conference in Poland next
fall.  We are going to try to broaden our reach; inviting users and
others to come to the conference as well.  Aric is going to try to help
coordinate that structural growth.

Mechanically, we did decide that the Google hangout was not intrusive,
so we will likely try to repeat that next year.  (We would like it to
not require us to manually accept each person, if possible).

Many others volunteered to help in a variety of ways; I did not take
rigorous notes of this during the conference, so hopefully others will
step forward with that information (or we'll all shame them into
remembering <evil grin>).

It was a joy to see you all!

Cheers,

Jeremy

p.s.  For my part, one key part is that we are going to attempt to make
one or two of the Debian Jessie systems hosted here at CodeWeavers run
make test to successful completion.

We are going to accept the fact that we have several timing dependent
tests; so 'success' is going to be something like the following:

  make test -o make test -o make test -o make test

In a similar vein, we are going to try to establish a 'diffing' logic
for the winetest bot.  So if there are n failures that happen routinely,
and a new patch arrives, so long as only those same failures remain, the
patch will be considered suitable.  The advantage to that approach is
that we can also apply it to platforms such as the Mac, where we are no
where close to running green.

Michael will help Francois with this once he is done with his travels.

I agreed to lock Francois and the d3d guys in the server room until we
saw progress on the make test front; I think that was the sum total of
what I volunteered to do.