Problems with the tooltip controls.

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Mon Sep 19 13:39:27 CDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 09:30:20PM +0300, John Found wrote:
> In my program I have window with several toolbars that have to show tooltips on its buttons.
>
> As long as the tooltips are dynamical, I am handling the TTN_NEEDTEXTW following way:
>
> 1. Send message TTM_GETCURRENTTOOLW to the tooltip control in NMHDR.hwndFrom reveived.
> 2. Determine from which toolbar the notification comes by using TOOLINFO.hwnd returned.
> 3. Generate the tooltip text and set the TOOLTIPTEXTW.lpszText to point to the generated text.
> 4. Return
>
> This procedure works in Windows, but not in WINE.
> In WINE, TTM_GETCURRENTTOOLW always returns FALSE.

That message in Wine should only return FALSE in a few scenarios:

http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/blob/5a9f7ef06df15e26acf46b0210dd7697356da7ac:/dlls/comctl32/tooltips.c#l1271

Check that your cbSize member is valid, and if so, maybe look into why
Wine doesn't think there is a tool currently selected.

Andrew