JACK driver for WINE

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 15:42:09 CDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Jeremy Banks <korethr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am wanting to output the audio from various applications run in WINE to
> the JACK server on my computer. I would prefer that WINE do this natively
> instead of routing across various wrapper setups with ALSA or PulseAudio. I
> have looked on the WINE wiki page for sound[1]  and see that there was a
> JACK driver at one point, but it was removed when the driver architecture
> was changed.
>
> I am interested in trying to implement a driver to get WINE talking to JACK
> natively. The wiki says to ask on the mailing list before starting such a
> project, and so here I am. I have downloaded a local copy of the source repo
> and have started browsing through its contents. Being unfamiliar with the
> WINE codebase, which portions of the source should I start studying first? I
> am interested in studying the drivers for ALSA, OSS, and Pulse for
> comparison; do those live in a particular place in the source tree? I'm
> presently looking on the Wiki for other helpful information, but is there
> some particular documentation I should be studying for this endeavor?

Hi Jeremy,

You're looking for
https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/tree/HEAD:/dlls/winealsa.drv
https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/tree/HEAD:/dlls/wineandroid.drv
https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/tree/HEAD:/dlls/winecoreaudio.drv
https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/tree/HEAD:/dlls/wineoss.drv
https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/tree/HEAD:/dlls/winepulse.drv

note that a lot of the sound code is in mmdevapi:
https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/tree/HEAD:/dlls/mmdevapi

Andrew Eikum maintains wine's sound infrastructure, he's the guy you
want if you have more involved questions.

Good luck!

--
-Austin
GPG: 14FB D7EA A041 937B