Coverity reports for test suite

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:32:21 CST 2017

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Nikolay Sivov <bunglehead at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26.02.2017 20:53, Alex Henrie wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently noticed that we don't currently get Coverity reports for
>> files in the test suite. I emailed Amine Khaldi, who does the Coverity
>> reports, and asked if we could start getting reports on the tests.
>> Amine made it sound like this had been discussed before and due to the
>> large volume of reports, there was not interest in getting reports for
>> anything other than the actual Wine code.
>>
>> Is there enough interest now to start looking at the test suite
>> reports? Would it hurt anything to be able to see that information?
>>
>> -Alex
>>

> Yes, we discussed this on irc at some point, by we I mean Amine and
> myself, and that's probably what he meant. I don't think it makes sense
> to scan tests yet, I'd expect noise rate to be overwhelming, resulting
> in thousands on reports of little to no value, like missing return value
> checks. We still have hundreds of potentially valuable ones for
> implementation part, that not a lot of people are looking at.
>
> So for the last question, I'm worried that it would hurt in a way that
> reports we potentially care about will get buried. Of course I could be
> wrong, we could simply try once and see what happens. I'm not sure
> actually what happens to reports when next scan does not include failed
> files, you'll probably lose all comments, report status updates etc.
>
> If you have time to clean some of existing ones, that would be greatly
> appreciated.

FWIW, coverity supports putting issues into different components based
on filename. It would be trivial to set up two different components
for wine, e.g., 'wine' and 'wine-tests', then have wine/*/*/tests/* go
to wine-tests, and wine/* to wine.

For those not familiar with coverity administration, this would not
require two separate builds, the results are separated when results
are displayed on the server.

--
-Austin
GPG: 14FB D7EA A041 937B