Some clarification of msi messages for translation and pedantic remarks

Julian RĂ¼ger jr98 at gmx.net
Mon Jul 24 10:18:41 CDT 2017

Hi Zebediah (and list),

I'd like some clarification of a few terms used in the new msi messages,
to make sure I translate the correct meaning. :)

#: msi.rc:103
msgid "Searching for related applications"
#: msi.rc:111
msgid "Migrating feature states from related applications"

related as in 'similar' or 'belonging together' or something else? I'd
guess #2.

#: msi.rc:113
msgid "Publishing assembly information"

assembly as in 'binary/executable file/dll', 'the assembler language' or
just 'putting together'?

I strongly suspect #1, and that is a tough one. There is no fitting
translation in German and this is not one of the many, many cases where
you would just use the original English term. It sounds totally awkward.
(Maybe because words ending in y are usually Germanized to use other
suffixes. Just does not work with 'Assembly')

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked it up and M$ does indeed use the
untranslated original, even in compound words.. Ughhh!

#: msi.rc:120
msgid "Registering Class servers"
#: msi.rc:122
msgid "Registering extension servers"

It's 'Server' in German as well for the hardware (machine/host) or
applications/services like Apache, but this feels like a different
thing. Am I being silly? Maybe this can only be answered by other German
speakers.

#: msi.rc:130 msi.rc:154
msgid "Updating environment strings"

Can I just call this environment variables? Sounds more natural than the
compound word with string ("Umgebungszeichenketten")...

Thanks for your help and for all your work!

Best,
Julian

PS:
Some other questions/comments, unrelated to translation:

#: msi.rc:168 msi.rc:171 msi.rc:175
msgid "File: [1],  Directory: [9],  Size: [6]"
#: msi.rc:170
msgid "File: [1], Directory: [9], Size: [6]"

Are these supposed to be separate, but identical?

#: msi.rc:173
msgid "File: [1],  Dependencies: [2]"
                 ^^
Two spaces on purpose?

#: msi.rc:176 msi.rc:177
msgid "Application Context:[1], Assembly Name:[2]"

Missing spaces?

#: msi.rc:189 msi.rc:209
msgid "Name: [1], Value: [2], Action [3]"

Missing colon? (Action: [3])?

#: msi.rc:178
msgid "File: [1],  Directory: [2],  Size: [3]"
#: msi.rc:193 msi.rc:210
msgid "File: [1],  Section: [2],  Key: [3], Value: [4]"

Duplicate spaces again?