1.8.7 maintenance release?

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 06:16:36 CDT 2017

Hello Jens,

On 03/13/2017 05:01 PM, Jens Reyer wrote:
> it's long overdue: thanks for your work on stable releases!
>

> On 03/03/2017 10:56 AM, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
>> On 03/02/2017 07:50 PM, Nathan Schulte wrote:
>> - Current supported distribution versions won't upgrade from 1.8.x to
>> 2.0. They will (hopefully) do the switch in their next version.
>
> Indeed Wine 2.0 was deemed as too late for the main Wine packages in
> Debian Stretch (currently in freeze).  So I'm trying to get 1.8.7 in
> there, for now I uploaded it to experimental.
>
> If this works, I'd also try to get Wine stable updates in Debian stable
> updates in the future.  However this would first happen with maybe Wine
> 4.0.x for Debian Buster (2019).
>

>> - Ubuntu 16.10 LTS came out with Wine 1.6.2 even though 1.8.3 was out
>> already. So I wouldn't wonder if they'll use 1.8.7 in their next LTS...
>> I don't particularly care about Ubuntu but that's how most of our new
>> users make their first contact with Wine.
>
> LTS was 16.04, not 16.10.  AIUI 16.04 was released with 1.6.2 because
I was already thinking ahead that 16.10 moved to the 1.8.x branch while
my fingers were still typing above sentence.

> the old Ubuntu maintainer(s) stopped working on Wine.
>
> Then several people started to work on bringing the Debian packages to
> Ubuntu.  I'm working closely with them, and since 16.10 we succeeded in
> having the up to date Debian packages in Ubuntu.  Work is also going on
> to get older versions updated, but progress is slow there.
>
> 17.04 will most probably use 1.8.7 (currently 1.8.6), even if they have
> to pick it from Debian experimental, not Debian testing/unstable.
> Eventually we might even get 2.0 there, but with Debian being in freeze
> that's not trivial - so thanks again for 1.8.7.
You're welcome,

>> - It is very easy for me to do an old stable release after the new
>> stable was cut. With the code freeze prior to a new stable release only
>> small bug fixes and most importantly regression fixes go in. So there is
>> a high density of good commits to cherry pick for the old stable.
>
> This makes me a lot more comfortable in pushing 1.8.7 now :)
>
> Currently the bug list for target_milestone=1.8.x is empty.[1]  Would
Correct. I removed all the 1.8.x milestones as those were all bugs that
I kept deferring from one release to another. For various reasons: too
complex, introduced a regression, too risky, etc.

> you tag any regression in that way (even for the now "finished" 1.8.x
> series), or what's the best way for me to learn about regressions in the
> stable releases?
I don't mind if people tag regressions that are specific to 1.8.7 with
the 1.8.x milestone.

But a search like this could work too:
https://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=STAGED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&keywords=regression%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=472155&product=Wine&query_format=advanced&version=1.8.1&version=1.8.2&version=1.8.3&version=1.8.4&version=1.8.5&version=1.8.6&version=1.8.7

If there is interest from other distributions too I can keep an 1.8.x
branch on my stable git tree at https://github.com/mstefani/wine-stable
as a synchronization point with patches that various distributions add
on top of 1.8.7. But if it is just Debian and Ubuntu, I guess the Debian
wine-1.8.7.deb will be good enough.

> Do you plan to roughly stick with the bi-monthly release schedule?  So
> I'd roughly assume a 2.0.1 in April?
Heh, I kinda initially planned for a 4-6 weeks cadence for 1.8.x but due
to time constraints it ended up being a bi-monthly schedule.
As that seems to have worked quite well I'll stick to a 6-10 weeks
release schedule. Lower bound if I have enough (~50) interesting (aka
not stubs, GPU card additions, documentation, small translation)
patches. The upper bound is a timeout to release whatever I have at that
point.

bye
	michael