What is the best way to debug a freeze in wine?

Derek Lesho dereklesho52 at gmail.com
Sun May 21 21:30:33 CDT 2017

This is my first time posting in a mailing list, so if this is the wrong
place to ask or I am doing something wrong, please tell me.  Anyway, In
wine 2.8, GTA-V is able to be run, however there is a major bug in which
any key press will freeze the game for a few seconds.  However, if you
bind any actions to the mouse, say mouse4 or mouse5, the issue is not
present.  GTA-V has also worked for people using xbox 360 controllers.
I have moderate programming knowledge, and I would like to find the
source of this bug, however I have no found a good way to do it yet.  I
have tried winedbg, however when I get a backtrace of the process, there
are atleast 50 threads running and I am unsure which one is locking up
the game.  I would use perf, however so far I haven't figured out how to
make it tell me which functions are taking up most of the time.

My question is, do any of you know of good tools/techniques that would
help me debug this sort of problem?  It would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. for any of you who are also interested in this specific problem,
many error messages are sent out at a very fast speed, but when the game
is frozen due to this bug, all error messages temporarily halt with the
exception of these two:

fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4090409, 40000000: semi-stub!
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout flags 40000000 not supported

Which are output a slow interval instead until the game unfreezes at
which point the console output returns back to its normal sporadic behavior.

Also, here is a normal backtrace from winedbg while the issue is
occuring: http://paste.ubuntu.com/24539530/