What is the best way to debug a freeze in wine?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Mon May 22 08:14:56 CDT 2017

Hi,

Trying to get a backtrace in the frozen state would have been my first
suggestion :-) The honest answer is that there is no way that guarantees
suceess. I can suggest a few things, but beyond that finding bugs is
always a case of trial and error, intuition and patience.

Fron the backtrace it seems that the game is waiting for some object
(WaitForSingleObject). Is the wait timing out, or is the object
available at some point? What object is this handle 0xaa8? My way of
finding out is to run a +relay log and look for the create or open call
that returned it (keeping in mind that it could be closed, and returned
by a different open call later), although there is probably a better way.

Since the bug is apparently specific to keyboard input you could look
for hints in related debug channels. I don't know which ones they are
though, but I'd try +keyboard,+dinput,+msg. If you have a mac you could
test it on macos to see if this is a winex11.drv specific issue.

Good luck,
Stefan