GSoC Proposal - Direct3D - Automated game benchmarks - Proof of Concept

Aaryaman Vasishta jem456.vasishta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 02:11:39 CDT 2018

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 6:21 AM, Dimitris Gounaridis <
moihack.inside at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone! I'm Dimitris Gounaridis a Computer Science student from
> Thessaloniki, Greece.
> I have sent a proposal for this year's GSoC "Direct3D - Automated game
> benchmarks" idea.
>
> I created this repo( https://github.com/moihack/mywinescripts) with some
> simple scripts after being asked by Stefan Dösinger for a simple proof of
> concept around my scripting skills.
> Right now my scripts download the wine-3.5 branch, build wine, then
> download and silently install the standalone benchmark for Devil May Cry 4.
> After also grabbing and unpacking autohotkey they launch the benchmark and
> output through WINEDEBUG=+fps the current fps value to a log file.
>
> What this script is currently missing is any kind of dependency management
> and proper error handling. Also, the script currently does not still parse
> and calculate a metric (like average fps) from the fps.log file.
> Finally,there is a log file that gets frequently updated so the user kinda
> knows till which part the script run if an error occured.
>
> Please let me know of any possible improvements and/or any possible issues
> you may find.
>
> Regards,
> Dimitris Gounaridis
>

> Hi Dimitris,

Thanks for creating the repo!

Suggestion: I'm not an expert in game automation scripts, but I noticed  a
20 second sleep in the beginning of your Devil May Cry 4 autohotkey script.
Would it be possible to replace that with an event listener which triggers
the script when the game finishes loading?
I see autohotkey has API's for COM objects and window handles like OnWin,
winExist and/or ComObj which could be worth checking
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/56987-com-object-referenc
e-autohotkey-v11/  hope it helps!

That being said, good job with the scripts so far!

Cheers,
Aaryaman