Oracle v. Google

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 21:49:41 CDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018, 14:50 Alex Henrie <alexhenrie24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 4:31 PM Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The committee has been in contact with Conservancy about this. As of
> > now, what we've learned is that it's too early to know the effect the
> > decision will have. It's important to note that the decision isn't
> > binding on any other courts in the country, and it could be years for
> > the appeals process to complete.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that the decision isn't
> binding on the entire USA or that there were still years left in the
> appeals process.

My personal opinion, not speaking for the committee or SFC:

The opinion is only binding in that district. It needs to come from the
Supreme Court to be binding everywhere as I understand it (unless Congress
changes the situation via statute).

Regarding years, nothing involving courts or lawyers is fast ;).