[wine-devel] The future of Wine-staging

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sat Feb 17 17:14:02 CST 2018

On 2018-02-17 22:07+0100 Michael Müller wrote:

> I am not sure if I understand the question correctly, but the Wine
> development and stable builds are available at
> http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/. They are built by Sebastian and me.
> If you look closely at the repository url in the installation
> instructions from the Wine Staging website, you will also see they point
> to dl.winehq.org.
>
> We wrote our own virtual machine based build system for this purpose
> (e.g. https://dev.wine-staging.com/builder/group/408/ - Wine 3.2
> release), which is largely automated. It requires only little attention
> and we therefore continue to offer this service. For the users of the
> development and stable branch nothing will change.

My question (which you understood correctly) was based on
<https://wine-staging.com/installation.html>. Thanks for pointing me
to the equivalent Wine site <http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/>, and I
am glad to hear you and Sebastian are continuing to maintain this
important Wine service.

Alan

> Am 17.02.2018 um 21:21 schrieb Alan W. Irwin:
[...]
>> One of the extraordinarily useful services they provided was a Debian
>> repository containing the latest (updated each two weeks) wine
>> development and wine-staging releases for a variety of different
>> Debian versions (Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, Buster, and Sid).
>> I haven't looked at their equivalent  Fedora, Ubuntu, Linux Mint,
>> and macOS repositories (see
>> <https://wine-staging.com/installation.html>) but I assume they
>> have similar large scope.
>>
>> If Wine does not already provide distribution repository services of
>> such large scope for wine development releases now, could you do so?
>> It just makes keeping up with the Wine cutting edge so much easier
>> for Linux and Mac OS X users.
>>
>> Alan
>> __________________________
>> Alan W. Irwin
>>
>> Astronomical research affiliation with Department of Physics and Astronomy,
>> University of Victoria (astrowww.phys.uvic.ca).
>>
>> Programming affiliations with the FreeEOS equation-of-state
>> implementation for stellar interiors (freeeos.sf.net); the Time
>> Ephemerides project (timeephem.sf.net); PLplot scientific plotting
>> software package (plplot.sf.net); the libLASi project
>> (unifont.org/lasi); the Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net);
>> and the Linux Brochure Project (lbproject.sf.net).
>>
>> Linux-powered Science

Alan W. Irwin