Move patches from wine-staging to mainline

Anton Romanov theli.ua at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:13:22 CDT 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:49 AM, Kai Krakow <kai at kaishome.de> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Alistair Leslie-Hughes <leslie_alistair at hotmail.com> schrieb am Do., 15.
> März 2018 um 10:02 Uhr:
>>
>> Hi Kai,
>>

>> On 15/03/18 18:46, Kai Krakow wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Since a similar discussion has come up, what would be the proposed way to
>> suggest tested patches from staging to mainline?
>>
>> I'm currently carrying one or another selected (simple) patch from staging
>> in my local patch-set that I apply to the latest wine version tag (so, I'm
>> not running master). And these patches have proven quality for me since a
>> view versions now.
>>
>> That good that other are testing the patches.  The main point here is to
>> make sure they will be acceptable upstream.
Yeah, keep in mind that while some patches work pretty well and are
written correctly from code point of view they won't be accepted due
to architectural concerns.
For example multimonitor pathcset while working perfectly and allowing
apps to run on multimonitor systems have been lingering in staging for
years because it goes against wine project leaders' vision of how
certain things should be architectured.

Aside from trying to reach to patch author it is also possible to
search wine-devel archives to see if it was ever sent upstream and if
yes then why was it not accepted before.