Wine staging patches submission

Zebediah Figura z.figura12 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 09:19:16 CDT 2018

I guess our WineConf talk has been coöpted...

On 05/26/2018 12:39 AM, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
 > Do you realize that you've essentially killed the project?

We haven't killed wine staging, nor do we intend for wine-staging to
die. What we would like to do is move staging away from being a fork of
the WineHQ project and towards a, well, staging branch, the way that
most people seem to envision it. Sebastian and Michael (and you) may
never have said or considered outright that Staging was a fork, but it
has been quite effectively treated that way. There are plenty of
good-quality patches there, especially yours, that have simply never
been submitted upstream for reasons that are less than sanguine.

I understand that you've been frustrated with WineHQ's review process.
I've been frustrated with it myself. I personally think there is value
in having a place where new developers can get acquainted with Wine in a
more friendly and helpful environment. To what degree I can help provide
that environment is less than clear, of course, but regardless I think
Staging should continue on to fill this void. However, I think that
trying to achieve this by distancing Staging from the rest of the
project is more detrimental than helpful to its overall goal.

As Rosanne says, getting rid of the Staging website is the best thing we
can do to eliminate the idea that Staging is a fork. Therefore this is
what we're trying to do. Since many patches are picked up from Bugzilla
to solve bugs, and Bugzilla also has some degree of infrastructure for
tracking Staging patches, we'd like to merge the staging patch tracker
there. Similarly we'd like to, as Rosanne says, redirect the
www.wine-staging.com website to a WineHQ wiki page.

I'm admittedly less than comfortable with the idea of "e-mail Alistair
or me". I do agree with Pablo that such conversations should be public.
Perhaps a good solution would be to CC one (or preferably both) of us on
a bug, with a request to include the patch in Staging and some
description of what the patch does. Another solution would perhaps be to
try to use wine-devel for Staging submissions.

ἔρρωσθε,
Zeb