Wine staging patches submission

Olivier F. R. Dierick o.dierick at piezo-forte.be
Sat May 26 18:54:29 CDT 2018

Le vendredi 25 mai 2018 à 23:23 +0000, Alistair Leslie-Hughes a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Since any patches submitted for being included in wine-staging will be
>
> fixing a bug in wine. It has been decided that we'll use bugzilla for
>
> submission.  This way anyone can follow the follow the status of patch,
>
> discussion of what/why things changed and when it's finally upstream.
>

> We are trying to avoid the situation of "What was that patch trying to
> fix", or
>
> "I see what it's doing but what application can I use to verify".
>

> Once the bug it created and the patch(s) attached,  email myself or
> Zebediah
>
> asking for staging consideration.   Please don't just CC me on a bug and
> assume
>
> we know what you want.
>

> Regards
>
>  Alistair.

Hi,

This is fine for me.

The way I see it is this:

- Someone reports a bug;
- Someone attach a patch to the bug;
- * Someone send a recommendation for the patch to the staging team;
- The staging team examine the patch;
- The staging team comments whether the patch is accepted or not;
- If rejected, the staging team notifies the bug with a comment;
- If accepted, the staging team marks the bug as STAGED and put the
patchset in the proper field;
- Discussion about the staging rejection/patch implementation details
are made in the comments;
- Patch author attach new implementation and marks old patch obsolete;
- When someone thinks the patchset is ready for upstream submission he
can make an appropriate statement in the comments.

Everyone involved in the bug (affected users, testers, patch author,
reviewers, staging maintainers) are given a central place where to
discuss and be notified of feedback/improvements/updates.

I really don't see any big issue with using bugzilla to track staging
patchset.

* about patch recommendation implementation:
What about having a form on wine-staging.com (or winehq.org) with a
simple bug # field and a 'recommend to staging' button? The form would
trigger a script that send an email notification to the staging
maintainers addresses listed in a file. The whole thing could be
maintained through github (I think the wine-staging.com is maintained
through github. Is it?)

The staging documentation can go into the wiki and link to the patchset
recommendation form.

It could also be implemented in bugzilla itself with a 'recommend to
staging' button, if bugzilla permits.

Regards,
--
        Olivier F. R. Dierick