dbghelp detached from wine into standalone windows dll...

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Jun 4 06:24:24 CDT 2019

Tarmo Pikaro <tapika at yahoo.com> writes:

> Here is 64-bit enabling commit:
>
> https://github.com/tapika/dbghelp2/commit/3a3e9daacae14c4f73585aeff4ef53a207a9f55d
>
> Basically my intention was to prototype that it's possible to determine call stack using wine dbghelp parts.
>
> - Does it makes any sense to try to make my dbghelp prototype be more or less official / or create such version which would be suitable for wine and for standalone compilation ?

For what you want, you should be able to use Wine's dbghelp unmodified.
Things that are legitimate bug fixes (like getting rid of 'long') can be
merged upstream. Other stuff like missing WideCharToMultiByte can be
addressed by providing the missing functions in your own separate object
file, without changing the source.

> - I would be interested in further development of dbghelp - as standalone dll / so independently from wine.
>
> At the moment dbghelp serves like read / parse of existing file
> formats (PE & ELF), has anyone considered of expanding support towards
> generation of same file formats ?

There was an effort a long time ago to generate PDB files from the Unix
data, but it never got good enough for real use. Doing this at the
compiler level is probably more realistic.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org