Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Jens Reyer jre.winesim at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 15:49:43 CDT 2019

On 20.06.19 20:55, Andrew Eikum wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 09:59:27AM -0500, Rosanne DiMesio wrote:
>> FYI, openSUSE Leap went to 64-bit only releases several versions
>> ago, but still continues to provide all the 32 bit baselibs needed to
>> build and run Wine. I use it myself without any problems.

Quite similar, when I talked to one of the Ubuntu guys about their i386
plans 3 years ago, they only planned to drop the i386 installer, but not
the whole suite.  I'm also flabbergasted by yesterday's announcement.

>> Unfortunately, based on what the Ubuntu article says, I don't have any
>> confidence that they even understand what Wine needs, let alone plan
>> to provide it.

I still need to skim through all of this in detail.

> Ubuntu ships their own Wine package, right? What are they planning to
> do with that package? Maybe we should get in touch with their Wine
> maintainer

That would mainly be me.  There are two Ubuntu developers who worked
with me on the transition to Debian's Wine packages.   I'll contact
them, and everyone else I can think about, later.

Ubuntu has our (Debian) packages.  These also work on amd64-only, of
course without 32-bit support.  I don't see us (Debian maintainers)
changing anything in or for Ubuntu about i386.

Debian has no plans to retire i386 for now.  I'm only aware of one
discussion about retiring it in Debian /sometime/ in the future.  But
even then I bet it would still be available as a semi-official
debian-port for years to come. So if anyone plans to work on
Ubuntu/i386, then this is still possible to be based on the Debian packages.

> , and whoever is driving this i386 retirement, and confirm
> that they 1) understand what Wine actually needs and, 2) don't want to
> provide that going forward.

Please do.  I'll try to join everyone once I have a better grip on this.

Greets
jre