mferror: Clarification of some terms for translators

Julian RĂ¼ger jr98 at gmx.net
Wed May 8 09:38:49 CDT 2019

Hi Nikolay,

in order to translate some of the (more or less ;) recently added
mferror strings, I'd like to ask you for a bit of context.

#: mferror.mc:193
msgid "Unsupported rate.\n"

Is this framerate, bitrate or rate of playback, i.e. 1.5x normal speed?

#: mferror.mc:207
msgid "Reversing is not supported.\n"

Going back to a previous point in the video/stream to resume normal
playback from there, playing back in reverse or maybe even
manipulating/editing the data, so the last frame will be the first and
vice-versa?

#: mferror.mc:221
msgid "Rate change was preempted.\n"

Rate change was disabled? Rate was already changed by some other
process/thread before (the change requested by user?) could be
processed?

#: mferror.mc:242
msgid "Clock is not available.\n"

? Time (speed/tick rate) provider? Like a metronome?

#: mferror.mc:284
msgid "Unsupported state transition.\n"

Playback state as in "paused", "playing", etc.?

#: mferror.mc:319
msgid "Bad startup version.\n"

I could just translate this literally, but that feels like saying
nothing really.

#: mferror.mc:326
msgid "Unsupported caption.\n"

Caption as in subtitle?

#: mferror.mc:347
msgid "Property type is not allowed.\n"

I guess this is not a property as in a setting the user can change?
More like an attribute?

There may be more later, but that's all for now. Sorry for bothering
you ;)

Best,
Julian