mferror: Clarification of some terms for translators

Nikolay Sivov nsivov at codeweavers.com
Wed May 8 09:55:25 CDT 2019

On 5/8/19 5:38 PM, Julian RĂ¼ger wrote:

> Hi Nikolay,
>
> in order to translate some of the (more or less ;) recently added
> mferror strings, I'd like to ask you for a bit of context.
Thank you for your interest.

> #: mferror.mc:193
> msgid "Unsupported rate.\n"
>
> Is this framerate, bitrate or rate of playback, i.e. 1.5x normal speed?

It's about playback rate, yes.

> #: mferror.mc:207
> msgid "Reversing is not supported.\n"
>
> Going back to a previous point in the video/stream to resume normal
> playback from there, playing back in reverse or maybe even
> manipulating/editing the data, so the last frame will be the first and
> vice-versa?

It's about playing back in reverse, and is directly related to playback
rate, which is negative in reversed case.

> #: mferror.mc:221
> msgid "Rate change was preempted.\n"
>
> Rate change was disabled? Rate was already changed by some other
> process/thread before (the change requested by user?) could be
> processed?
It means rate change was blocked, and as a result rate won't change.

> #: mferror.mc:242
> msgid "Clock is not available.\n"
>
> ? Time (speed/tick rate) provider? Like a metronome?
That means clock object was not specified/set.

> #: mferror.mc:284
> msgid "Unsupported state transition.\n"
>
> Playback state as in "paused", "playing", etc.?
Correct.

> #: mferror.mc:319
> msgid "Bad startup version.\n"
>
> I could just translate this literally, but that feels like saying
> nothing really.
That's about MF platform being initialized using unknown version number,
see MFStartup().

> #: mferror.mc:326
> msgid "Unsupported caption.\n"
>
> Caption as in subtitle?
I don't think so, SDK message says it's "URL caption", I don't know what
that is.

> #: mferror.mc:347
> msgid "Property type is not allowed.\n"
>
> I guess this is not a property as in a setting the user can change?
> More like an attribute?
Yes, it's more like attribute, or key/value pair, where value type is
wrong. I don't have specific examples of method calls returning this.