Wine and mingw-w64 cooperation

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Wed May 22 14:45:28 CDT 2019

Hi all,

[I'm addressing it to both mingw-w64-public and wine-devel]

As most of you know, Wine and mingw-w64 have a lot in common and
cooperate to some extend for quite a while. There have been talks about
tightening this relationship for years. Recent Wine move to using PE
files for its builds led us to revisit those ideas. My feeling so far is
that there is an agreement among people I heard from that it's a good
direction for both projects to have mingw-w64 under an umbrella of the
Wine project.

It would be great to move forward with this. Let me discuss a few
aspects of the idea.

- Infrastructure

mingw-w64 currently mostly depends heavily on SourceForge. While I'm
thankful to SF for years of free support, it's doesn't feel like an
optimal choice those days. Wine has its own infrastructure that
mingw-w64 could use right away. Moving things like mailing list, bug
tracker, etc. is straightforward to do, except for one thing... how
should it be called? Which brings us to the next item.

- mingw-w64 name

There have been talks about rebranding mingw-w64 for a long time (longer
than I am in joined the project). While it's a good name for a branch,
an established project that is no longer related to mingw.org could have
a better branding. Kai mentioned that ironcrate was considered as some
point, but to my knowledge no action was taken at that time. Alexandre
offered lately that Wine brand could be used for mingw-w64 as well. I
personally like the idea. Wine is already well recognised brand and
brings roughly right associations. So... how about WineSDK?

- Source code sharing

Technically, we could share much more code than we currently do.
Duplicating efforts is quite suboptimal for everyone. Right now
mingw-w64 imports a number of platform headers and widl tool from Wine
via wine-import.sh script. Wine has a few headers imported from
mingw-w64 as well. It works to some extend, but the fact is that we
still duplicate more than we share. I'm not yet sure how to fix that
entirely, but I'd like us to have a workflow that would limit the
duplication.

- Testing

Wine has a TestBot and a number of test cases, which is a great tool for
developers to make sure their patches are right. mingw-w64 does not have
such thing and mostly depends on developers doing their own testing and
regression reports after the patch is committed. We could integrate
mingw-w64 testing with Wine TestBot to make sure that we don't break
things (well, at least limit that possibility). I believe that it would
nicely accelerate mingw-w64 development workflow as well as ensure that
mingw-w64+Wine don't regress.

- WineConf

The annual Wine conference is a nice chance to meet other contributors
in person:
https://wiki.winehq.org/WineConf
It would be great mingw-w64 developers there as well.

Any ideas, comments and thoughts on this topics are welcomed.

Thanks,
Jacek