Installing Wine's build dependencies (wt-install-dev)

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sun Jun 21 05:14:01 CDT 2020

So wt-install-dev now supports openSUSE Tumbleweed (in addition to Leap
15.1) and can also automate adding the contrib section on Debian (for
the TrueType fonts) and also Ubuntu. I'm also not opposed to extending
it to other distributions like Fedora and Arch.

So I'd like to update the Wine wiki pages that describe how to build
Wine to reference this tool [1] since I think it's really the easiest
way to set things up the 32- and 64-bit build dependencies.

But before I do that I wonder if the tool should be moved to another Git
repository. Currently it's in my wt-daily repository but that may not be
the most appropriate place. The three candidate are:

* wt-daily
  That's where I initially put it since that was easiest and I use
  wt-install-dev to configure the machines for my daily WineTest runs.
  But wt-daily is not really a mainstream repository.

* tools
  I also use wt-install-dev to configure the TestBot VMs that run the
  Wine tests. So since the TestBot source is stored in the tools
  repository it could make sense to add wt-install-dev there.

* wine
  After all the goal is to help set up a system to compile Wine so that
  may be the most logical place for it. Then anyone wanting to compile
  Wine would immediately have access to this tool without having to go
  fetch some other repository. It could even be referenced in the
  README.

Of course I'm also open to renaming wt-install-dev.

Any thoughts?

[1] https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Cross-Compiling
    https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Biarch_Wine_On_Ubuntu
    https://wiki.winehq.org/OpenSUSE#Build_Tools_and_Dependencies

                Linux: It is now safe to turn on your computer.