Google Summer of Code

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 14:04:18 CST 2021

Hi,

As threatened a while ago [1] I have deleted all gsoc ideas that did not result in an acceptable proposal in the past 2 years. Since we didn't have a single project that means all of them...

This email is a call to re-fill the gsoc ideas page: https://wiki.winehq.org/Summer_Of_Code

The gsoc organization application period begins in 7 days and ends in 27 days. That should be enough time to add new ideas; Otherwise I take it as a collective decision that gsoc is no longer suitable for Wine.

Please beware of changes to gsoc itself: https://opensource.googleblog.com/2020/10/google-summer-of-code-2021-is-bringing.html . In short, the program is shorter, therefore the projects worked on should be smaller.

IMHO a good idea suggestion should give a starting point for further research and list some open questions to fill. A good application would then have answers for those questions.

I'd like to also bring up my proposal from last year to think beyond the main Wine code and tooling. There are things like PlayOnLinux, PlayOnMac, winevdm, etc that may provide something useful.

Cheers,
Stefan

1: https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2020-November/177115.html