Google Summer of Code

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 17:33:00 CST 2021

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 2:04 PM Stefan Dösinger
<stefandoesinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As threatened a while ago [1] I have deleted all gsoc ideas that did not result in an acceptable proposal in the past 2 years. Since we didn't have a single project that means all of them...
>
> This email is a call to re-fill the gsoc ideas page: https://wiki.winehq.org/Summer_Of_Code
>
> The gsoc organization application period begins in 7 days and ends in 27 days. That should be enough time to add new ideas; Otherwise I take it as a collective decision that gsoc is no longer suitable for Wine.

As much as I don't like it, I agree. IMO we've kept it going out of
inertia, and while it could have value, if we're not putting effort
in, we're not going to get high value students/work out of it.

> Please beware of changes to gsoc itself: https://opensource.googleblog.com/2020/10/google-summer-of-code-2021-is-bringing.html . In short, the program is shorter, therefore the projects worked on should be smaller.
>
> IMHO a good idea suggestion should give a starting point for further research and list some open questions to fill. A good application would then have answers for those questions.
>
> I'd like to also bring up my proposal from last year to think beyond the main Wine code and tooling. There are things like PlayOnLinux, PlayOnMac, winevdm, etc that may provide something useful.

FWIW, I'd be open to mentoring a student on winetricks (i.e., I could
see a project(s) on improving the GUI, better win64 support, better
non-x86 support, etc.). I don't want to push too hard for that though
given my conflicts of interest :).

--
-Austin
GPG: 267B CC1F 053F 0749 (expires 2021/02/18)