An introduction of a potential student contributor

Weiwen Chen ofey206 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 02:17:11 CDT 2021

Hi everyone,
My name is Weiwen Chen, an undergraduate at Fudan University, Department of
Physics. I'm interested in open source projects and I have three years'
programming experience, mainly in python, c and golang. I have some
experience of operating system utilities through the labs of MIT 6.828. I'm
a linux user and wine is something good in my daily life. Maybe I'm not as
experienced as you, but I'll try my best to do something useful.

I applied to the 'Implement robocopy.exe' summer project
<https://wiki.winehq.org/Summer_Of_Code#Implement_robocopy.exe>, and have
exchanged several emails with Ms. Figura and Mr. Li. (Though I'm not sure
whether my application will be accepted! ;))

---

Besides, I want to know how to add a new executable into the `programs/`
directory correctly.

I'm trying to set up a skeleton program which can be compiled. I created
`robocopy/` dir under `programs/`, copied things from `reg/` and modified
the `MODULE` variable in `Makefile.in`, added lines below in `configure.ac`
and rerun `autoconf` command.

WINE_CONFIG_MAKEFILE(programs/robocopy)
WINE_CONFIG_MAKEFILE(programs/robocopy/tests)

I hope it will generate an executable called `robocopy.exe` which acts like
`reg.exe`, but I don't find it under `.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/` or
`.wine/drive_c/windows/syswow64/`. Have I missed anything? I wonder how to
add a skeleton executable into `programs/` which can be correctly compiled
and placed.

I staged my code mentioned above under my github fork
<https://github.com/ofey404/wine/tree/robocopy>,

Wish you all the best
Weiwen Chen