New WineTest report size crisis

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Thu Sep 23 10:17:00 CDT 2021

The ntoskrnl output is now very reasonable.
Many thanks to Zebediah for taking care of this.

But the WineTest reports are, again, above the 1.5 MB size limit on
Wine. Not by much, from 22 to 90kB, but that's enough to cause a lot of
Wine results to disappear from test.winehq.org:

https://test.winehq.org/data/patterns.html
(notice the underscores at the end of the linux_ lines)

The limit could be raised (if Alexandre accepts the patch), but we also
cannot let the tests output increase without control if we want to keep
reasonable file sizes. If all tests outputted as much as the top 5 we
would have 40 MB test reports which would have a serious impact on the
test.winehq.org disk usage. It also means the 'full report' HTML pages
would blow up to about 152 MB. That might prove hard on web browsers.

So maybe increasing the limit is necessary and maybe even overdue. But
it's also the easy way out and the top 5 offenders (see list at bottom)
are clearly generating too much output anyway. So I think we should make
some effort to bring them to more reasonable sizes.

Anyway, the main tests responsible for the size increase are:
* user32:msg (+63kB)
* dinput8:hid (+26kB)
* and a smattering of d3d tests

Also this time there is no single patch to blame. Instead a range of
patches added 105kB to the reports, pushing them over the edge:

Sep 08: d3dcompiler_46:hlsl_d3d11 (new, +1.7kB)
        d3dx10_38:d3dx10 (new, +3kB)
        user32:msg (+6kB)

Sep 09: dinput8:hid (new, +4kB)
        user32:msg (+18kB)
Sep 13: d3dx10_37:d3dx10 (new, +3kB)

Sep 15: dinput8:hid (+3kB)
Sep 15: d3dx10_36:d3dx10 (new, +3kB)

Sep 16: dinput8:hid (+3kB)

Sep 17: dinput8:hid (+10kB)
        user32:msg (+6kB)

Sep 20: dinput8:hid (+7kB)
        d3dx10_35:d3dx10 (new, +3kB)
        user32:msg (+15kB)

Sep 21: user32:msg (+19kB)

Of course we still have the old offenders so that the top 5 tests (1.36%
of the total) now use 17% (270kB) of the maximum report size!

So I created bugs to track this and I'm calling for help to get this
under control:

* bug 51780 - user32:msg (97kB)
* bug 51781 - d3d11:d3d11 (84kB)
* bug 51782 - ws2_32:sock (29kB)
* bug 51783 - ieframe:webbrowser (29kB)
* bug 51785 - d3dx10_*:d3dx10 (29kB)
* bug 51784 - dinput8:hid (26kB) (not in top 5 if aggregating d3dx10_*)

Note: Yes, I'm using 1000 bytes kBs here: I have an easier time dividing
      the 'wc -c' output by 1000 in my head than by 1024.

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>