Bug 52488, floating point denormal exception

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:17:47 CST 2022

Am Montag, 31. Jänner 2022, 20:45:38 EAT schrieb Fabian Maurer:
> Hello Stefan,
>
> Of course it couldn't be easy..
>
> > Netscape 4 is the application where I came across the problem. Microsoft
> > has some floating point sample applications that also show the issue.
>
> Do we have a bugreport for those already?

None that I know of, but I also didn't search extensively. I came across it
when toying around with dosemu2 for fun: https://github.com/dosemu2/dosemu2/
issues/976 .

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10511506/old-16-bit-application-causing-gpf-in-win87em-dll-intermittently talks about the issues with modern CPUs.

> > The correct thing would be to bring
> > the Win16 float exception handling code from winevdm back to Wine.
>
> Their implementation actually isn't too different from Wine's, unless you
> mean the part where they use the MAME emulator.

They added quite a chunk of code Wine does not have re x87 exceptions.
https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/blob/master/win87em/win87em.c#L199 is the
most obvious tip of the iceberg, but I guess there is more stuff hidden in
their DPMI interrupt code.