'wrc' weirdness

Gisle Vanem gvanem at online.no
Fri Jul 15 10:49:57 CDT 2022

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

>> I'm still struggling with understanding the build
>> of Wine on Win-10 using MSVC or clang-cl.
>>
>> E.g. the 'wrc' program behaves rather different from
>> MSVC's 'rc'. When for example using 'wrc' to build
>> 'attrib.exe', the output of 'attrib.exe /?' looks like
>> this:
>
> My best guess is again that nobody tries to make wine's .rc files work with Microsoft's rc. A bug that might be noticed is if someone tries to use wrc with a Windows program's source code and it doesn't behave as intended.
>
> I am not even sure if Microsoft's rc is supposed to work at all. Our translations use gettext .po files that are somehow migrated to Windows resource files; That might be done through non-standard .rc statements. I don't think that's your issue here though.

Thanks for the details.

I'm just playing with Wine for the time being. To see
what it could offer for Win users. AFAICS, only the 'attrib.rc'
is weird. So MS's 'rc' *could* work for the most part if one
stays far away from gettext.

BTW.

Why not support '-nologo' to ease the switching between
'rc' and 'wrc'? And I feel 'wrc' is way more solid program
than 'rc' is. I've yet to see 'wrc' crash in bad input (like
'rc' often does).

--
--gv