Gitlab experiment wrapup

Zebediah Figura zfigura at codeweavers.com
Tue Jun 14 13:23:06 CDT 2022

On 6/14/22 09:34, Jeremy Newman wrote:
> On 6/14/2022 5:55 AM, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>> - The mailing list gateway creates too much noise; mixing comments from
>>    Gitlab and mailing list isn't very clean (Jacek, Rémi, Alex).  We can
>>    make some tweaks, or use a separate list, or even rethink the approach
>>    of the mail gateway.
>
> I'd be in favor of a new mailing list for this. I think all this noise
> on wine-devel has stopped all other technical discussion here. With the
> communication being done in Gitlab itself. I know some deplore web
> interfaces, so we will need need to keep some form of terminal based
> communication for them.

For what it's worth, as someone who will not use the Gitlab UI, I don't
"deplore web interfaces"; some work quite well for me. The problem is
that Gitlab's web interface is terrible, borne out of mobile-first and
"flat" UI—too much junk in the screen, too much padding, controls on
every side of the screen without any pattern, incomprehensible symbols
in place of words, infinite scrolling, sluggish and memory-heavy
JavaScript...

If someone were to design a reasonable UI for Gitlab, I would probably
use it. Since the switch is inevitable I may end up wasting some of my
time doing so myself.