Wine Source build on native wchar_t 4 bytes

Mahin Pandya mahin.pandya at actian.com
Wed May 4 04:10:32 CDT 2022

Hi Eric,

Here is what we are trying to do:

- do you want that all places where WCHAR is used (meaning utf16) is replaced by utf32 encoding?
Yes, all usage would be utf-32
- do you want applications compiled in current WCHAR=2 bytes (including native windows applications) and applications with your WCHAR=4 bytes run in the same wine instance?
This would be WCHAR=4 bytes only. Native Windows Applications do not need to be supported.
- cross compiling or simply compiling ?
No cross-compilation. Currently planning to compile/build under Linux only.
and perhaps to start with, why is current utf16 encoding not sufficient?
We are trying to build Windows application using Wine Lib as native application (i.e. winelib https://wiki.winehq.org/Winelib / https://wiki.winehq.org/Winelib_User%27s_Guide rather than wine to run Windows binaries). So that we can use other glibc functionality as well that use and expect native wchar_t sizes.

regards,
Mahin