TestBot News

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Thu May 5 10:37:29 CDT 2022

On Wed, 4 May 2022, Zebediah Figura (she/her) wrote:
[...]
> This seems worth looking into.

Given that almost all the CPU performance gains come from high core
counts nowadays I agree that it would be nice. But...

> There's also a lot of tests that can't really be improved by
> multithreading *internally*, but also don't touch global state and
> hence could be run in parallel with anything else. We could construct
> a whitelist (or maybe there's even enough to construct a blacklist
> instead) of tests that winetest can run in parallel.

I don't think there's a way to automatically detect which test units can
be run in parallel or even to have a heuristic that reliably identifies
a subset that are safe to parallelize. (and reciprocally for a
whitelist)

That means we'd need a handcrafted whitelist or blacklist and I'm not
sure how maintainable that would be:
- A blacklist has the drawback that we'd always be playing catchup to
  add new tests.
- But I'm not even sure a whitelist would work better: any patch to a
  whitelisted test may require evicting it from the whitelist.

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>