32bit Wine on macOS Catalina

Erich E. Hoover erich.e.hoover at gmail.com
Mon May 16 12:24:17 CDT 2022

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 6:29 PM Zebediah Figura <zfigura at codeweavers.com>
wrote:

> Using the PE executable format is not actually necessary to accomplish
> this (even for proper WoW64 support, I believe—though someone should
> correct me if I'm wrong. At least it's not necessary for obvious
> reasons.) ...

This is correct, out of morbid curiosity (back when I still had some free
time) I wrote a prototype "Linux WoW64" wrapper and I can say that this
100% works without doing anything in PE.  I say morbid curiosity because I
made this tool able to simultaneously load 32-bit and 64-bit libraries in
the same program and be able to create 32-bit thunks from a library's
headers and that whole process is ... interesting.

> Hope this was helpful for someone. I know Erich wrote a similar writeup,
> but there were a couple of missing bits in that I wanted to clarify as
> well.

Heh, good memory - my "writeup" was more of a TLDR for end-users.  This is
_far_ more complete and covers a lot of the technical issues that get
solved along the way.

Best,
Erich