32bit Wine on macOS Catalina

Zebediah Figura zfigura at codeweavers.com
Mon May 16 12:35:58 CDT 2022

On 5/16/22 12:24, Erich E. Hoover wrote:
> On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 6:29 PM Zebediah Figura <zfigura at codeweavers.com>
> wrote:

>> Using the PE executable format is not actually necessary to accomplish
>> this (even for proper WoW64 support, I believe—though someone should
>> correct me if I'm wrong. At least it's not necessary for obvious
>> reasons.) ...
>>

> This is correct, out of morbid curiosity (back when I still had some free
> time) I wrote a prototype "Linux WoW64" wrapper and I can say that this
> 100% works without doing anything in PE.  I say morbid curiosity because I
> made this tool able to simultaneously load 32-bit and 64-bit libraries in
> the same program and be able to create 32-bit thunks from a library's
> headers and that whole process is ... interesting.

Right, conceptually it shouldn't matter. In practice, with the way
things are currently done in Wine, there might be some non-obvious
reason that WoW64 breaks if MinGW isn't available.

>> Hope this was helpful for someone. I know Erich wrote a similar writeup,
>> but there were a couple of missing bits in that I wanted to clarify as
>> well.
>>

> Heh, good memory - my "writeup" was more of a TLDR for end-users.  This is
> _far_ more complete and covers a lot of the technical issues that get
> solved along the way.

Oops, I actually meant *Eric* Pouech [1]; I was unaware you had written
up anything ;-)

[1] <https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2022-April/213677.html>