Would implementing UMDF support be useful (or even viable)?

Fabian Maurer dark.shadow4 at web.de
Mon May 16 15:11:29 CDT 2022

Hello Mark,

I'm just a hobby contributor, please view the following response in that
light.

Personal opinion: I'd love to see something like that! Even something like
ndiswrapper but in wine and usermode, but that's a different story ;)
AFAIK, the API is pretty similar to kernel mode drivers, with obvious
differences. Though I didn't look further into it, so I might be wrong. Maybe
we could even have a shared implementation? After all, we have the unique
situation that we run kernel mode drivers in userland as well...

There's certainly niche hardware that's not supported under Linux, they pop up
from time to time in the forums. They might not ever be supported in Linux
either. Although admittedly the need for that is not too high. In the end, it
seems like a lot of work for marginal benefits - Still, why not? If you have
fun working on it.
Unpopular opinion: Even if there's a Linux driver, it doesn't hurt to have an
alternative. Not all drivers are made equally, after all. There's been moments
when people picked ndiswrapper over the Linux driver as well.

It's probably not easy to test though, since you need the hardware to test it
against. Do you have a program/hardware in mind that you want supported? Sure
would help give a direction in which to start. Just keep in mind that it's
probably a lot of work, take it slow so you don't get overwhelmed. :)

Regards,
Fabian Maurer