Would implementing UMDF support be useful (or even viable)?

Zebediah Figura (she/her) zfigura at codeweavers.com
Mon May 16 15:33:36 CDT 2022

On 5/16/22 15:11, Fabian Maurer wrote:
> Unpopular opinion: Even if there's a Linux driver, it doesn't hurt to have an
> alternative. Not all drivers are made equally, after all. There's been moments
> when people picked ndiswrapper over the Linux driver as well.

Perhaps, although it's unfortunate when the only or best driver is not
Free Software. Accordingly, given the choice, I'd rather advocate for
improving the host driver than accommodating the Windows driver.

ndiswrapper is also kind of a different case anyway. A driver in Wine
can only be used by programs running in the same prefix, so improving
driver support in Wine has considerably less value.

I wrote a wiki page recently that describes some of the considerations:
<https://wiki.winehq.org/Hardware>