Gitlab experiment status

Huw Davies huw at codeweavers.com
Thu May 26 02:11:31 CDT 2022

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 11:12:32AM +0200, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> So now that you have had a chance to try it, what do you people think?
> Should we adopt Gitlab as our development platform?

Now that we have the reviewers' approvals stored in git's notes, I'm
generally happy with it.

Sending in patches is pretty much break-even.

I do find reviewing on gitlab easier: one doesn't have to manually
collect the individual emails into one's local tree - simply fetching
the branch is much nicer.  This is especially useful when v(n+1) comes
in - it's very easy to see diff betweeen it and vn.

I can see cases where signing off individual patches, rather the
entire MR, might be beneficial, but I'm not too bothered about losing
that (and perhaps it will encourage better separated MRs).  Having
multiple reviewers helps mitigate this too.

The MR tracker is much nicer than our current patch tracker - it's
very easy to see which MRs are pending your review.

So, I'm happy to switch.

Huw.