Gitlab experiment status

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Fri May 27 07:34:08 CDT 2022

On 5/24/22 11:12, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The Gitlab experiment seems to be going well. For the last release, more
> than half the patches were submitted as Gitlab merge requests, so that
> seems to be working well for us.
>
> There are still improvements we can make, and of course many more
> Gitlab features that we could start using, but before investing more
> effort we need to decide whether we want to use it going forward.
>
> So now that you have had a chance to try it, what do you people think?
> Should we adopt Gitlab as our development platform?

What I like about Gitlab:

* push/fetch model eliminates ML hacks by design (where we give up
proper git history when sending an email, only to have hackish
reconstruction of it in patch tracker, TestBot and reviewers' tools).

* It provides a platform where having Wine Gecko repo fits Wine
infrastructure.

* It gives us a nice place to share WIP branches within Wine infrastructure.

* It seems to have a good potential for automation.

On top of above it makes Alexandre's life easier, so I think it's good
enough to continue adopting it. There are some things that could be
improved:

* The ability of reviewer to push simple fixups to MRs. Gitlab provides
some support for it, but it currently doesn't fit our workflow. For the
existing option to work, reviewer would need commit access to the target
branch. I worked around that with Huw by giving him access to my tree
instead, but that does not scale.

* Related to above, when reviewer pushes to MR, MR creator is used by ML
bridge as a sender. It seems like it should use the reviewer instead and
Gitlab has that information. Eg. [1] should use Huw as a sender.

* I think that a mailing list dominated by a bot does not give an
impression welcoming for general discussion. If we're moving forward
with this, I think we should move Gitlab bridge to a separated mailing
list. We had wine-patches in the past (although in this case it would
contain review comments as well).

Jacek

[1] https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2022-May/217574.html