Wine and WinNT wine.conf dumb question

Mark Daglish Mark.Daglish at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Apr 9 04:10:33 CDT 2001

Daniel,

"Daniel Foesch" <krach42 at aol.com> wrote in message
news:20010406175909.09131.00002292 at ng-mm1.aol.com...
> (simultaniously being sent to two people)
>
> Wow... looks like a total mystery... but then I hit upon the key.  You're
both
> mounting a ntfs drive, and trying to use this for wine.  Wine expects to
have
> full access to the windows directory (I'm willing to bet) and you don't
have
> NTFS write-ability in (I'm willing to bet, since it's labeled as dangerous
in
> the kernel config)
>
> My best suggestion to both of you would be to make a fake C windows drive
on a
> Linux-only partition, make it copy NT if you want, shouldn't matter all
that
> much.  Then make that your C drive, with your NTFS mounts as say D, and
E...
> then you should be able to run your programs, but still have a read-write
> C:\WINNT directory

Well done, that was it!  Obviously in changing from kernel 2.2.16 to 2.4.2
using rpms from SuSE the option for writing to NTFS partitions has been
taken out.  In the end I decided not to re-compile the kernel (:-) but to
copy the c:\winnt directory to a linux directory and use that.  This is
working nicely so far.

Many, many thanks for this as this was a major block to using the box for
it's main purpose.

Regards,

Mark