What happened to --desktop geom?

Michael Mauch michael.mauch at gmx.de
Mon Apr 23 16:24:46 CDT 2001

Alex Diaz <blah at blah.com> wrote:

> I'd like to apologize in advance if this is an old issue that everyone
> already dealt with in some new mechanism...
>
> But I compiled today's CVS for the first time in a few months, and when i
> tried to fire up programs/games with --desktop geom 640x480 (or any other
> dimensions) I get an "unknown option --desktop" error and the "usage" list
> pops up. I read the man page, of course, and was able to see that no longer
> do you pass windows command-line arguments in the form of "wine app.exe --
> app.exe --somearg" (as you used to) but as "wine -- app.exe --somearg".

I'm also new to the current Wine, but somebody on the wine-users
list/newsgroups (see <http://www.winehq.org/dev.shtml#ml>) mentioned the
current mechanism. Now you can override the global settings in
"AppDefaults" sections in your ~/.wine/config like so:

[AppDefaults\\YourProgram.exe\\x11drv]
"Display" = ":0.0"
"Managed" = "N"
"Desktop" = "900x675"

> Unfortunately, I could find no mentions in the man, documentation, or on
> the web about the missing --desktop wine option. In fact, it's still listed
> in the Wine documentation on the site:
>
> http://www.winehq.com/Docs/wine-user/running.shtml

Yes, the documentation seems not to be up-to-date at the moment.

Regards...
		Michael