getting cygwin to run under wine

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:45:37 CDT 2001

Juergen Fiedler <juergen at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:>
> Is there a way to
> make bash stick around so that I don't have to prepend 'wine ' to every
> command I want to issue to any of the cygwin executables?

I don't know how to make bash stick around, but I do a similar thing
with Xilinx tools, which are a bunch of command line executables. I
created a bunch of executables in /usr/local/bin that look like this:
#!/bin/csh -f
exec wine --debugmsg fixme-all -- $XILINX/bin/nt/$0:t.exe $*

I create that once as, for example, /usr/local/bin/xnf2ngd. Then I just
create a bunch of hard links to it for all the rest of the Xilinx
executables.
ln xnf2ngd edif2ngd
ln xnf2ngd map
...etc.

These now work exactly as if they were Linux native executables. They
accept command arguments and correctly return result codes, so they can
also be used in scripts (which is typically how I use them). I think
other people do a similar thing with aliases. I do a similar thing with
all the programs I run frequently under wine, so that I don't need to
type in that extra wine everytime, and especially so that I always turn
off those fixme messages.

Dan Kegel wrote:

> I bet he really wants to get rid of the wine startup time.

I found that when running my scripts, which execute 20-30 Xilinx
commands in sequence, allowing the wineserver to start and stop on each
command made it run horrendously slow. The fix I came up with was to
simply run any wine program that creates a window, and then just shade
it. This keeps the wineserver running, and dramatically improved the
speed my script. It looks like the wineserver is the slowest part of the
startup.

Duane