Abiword as test of Wine

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Aug 5 01:16:27 CDT 2001

One problem with Wine has been that there were few
serious open source win32 applications out there to
test Wine with (ok, maybe my opinions are from 1997 :-)

In any case, we have some great open source Win32 applications
to test with.  AbiWord is one.

I just tried installing AbiWord 0.9 under the latest
Codeweavers preview.  The install worked -- but generated
about a billion warnings of the sort
 fixme:file:SetFileAttributesA (C:\Program Files\AbiSuite\COPYING.TXT):2000 attribute(s) not implemented.
 fixme:file:SetFileAttributesA (C:\Program Files\AbiSuite\askrm.exe):2000 attribute(s) not implemented.
(no biggie) plus the error
 fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
 Wine failed with return code 139
That seems like it's worth fixing.

Running the app itself generated the warnings
 fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__setjmp3 :(0x40376048 0): stub
 fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__setjmp3 :(0x40376048 0): stub
 fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__setjmp3 :(0x40376a78 0): stub
 fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__setjmp3 :(0x40376a78 0): stub
 fixme:scroll:ScrollBarWndProc Unimplemented style SBS_SIZEBOX.
 fixme:ddeml:DdeUninitialize (1): partial stub
and the error
 err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [0278] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!

Seems like Wine should make it a priority to fix problems
uncovered by friendly open source apps like AbiWord --
even though there's a perfectly good native version of AbiWord
for Linux.  Why?  Precisely because AbiWord is cross-platform,
you could write a test script that would run
AbiWord through its paces, simulating keystrokes and mouse
motion, and then saving a file; you could then run that
script both on the native Linux version and also on the
Win32 version via Wine; and in the end, both should save
identical files.  And that would be a pretty cool regression test.

Comments?
- Dan

--
"I have seen the future, and it licks itself clean." -- Bucky Katt