printing AND memory

Ian Pilcher ian.pilcher at home.com
Fri Aug 17 05:10:10 CDT 2001

Richard Canada wrote:

> [afmfiles]
> "file<n>" = "/usr/share/fonts/afms/adobe/pagd8a.afm"
>
> [psdrv]
> "ppdfile" = "/windows/wine/TEMP/ADOBE/HP/HP4PLUS6.PPD"

I'm not sure what to make of this.  It looks like you may have copied
some entries out of dated documentation, without customising them for
your system.  Some things have changed:

  * [afmfiles] is not used anymore.  (And I don't think that the syntax
    above ever worked.  <n> was supposed to be replaced by 0, 1, 2,
    etc.)  Metrics for the 35 core PostScript fonts are now built in to
    the driver, so you probably don't need to specify any AFM files.

  * [psdrv] is not used anymore either.  PPD files can be specified on
    a per-printer basis in the registry.  The easiest way to set this is
    to customise psdrv.reg and use regapi.  (This is, in fact, required
    if you're going to set up WINEPS printers manually.)

  * The other alternative is to let Wine scan your /etc/printcap and
    automatically set up your printers.  (It will try to guess which
    printers are PostScript/Ghostscript capable.)  You still need to
    specify one or more PPD files in your configuration file:

        [ppd]
        "lp0" = "/usr/share/PPD/IBM43241.PPD"
        "lp1" = "/usr/share/PPD/HPLJ.PPD"
        "generic" = "/usr/share/PPD/generic.ppd"

    (The "generic" PPD file will be used for any printers that do not
    have one specified.)

All of this is discussed in the Wine documentation, although the version
on the web site may be out of date.  If you have problems building the
documentation in the source, I can send you a PDF version.

Ian Pilcher                                         ian.pilcher at home.com