Partial success: "Microshaft Winblows98"

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Feb 4 20:35:51 CST 2001

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Dan Kegel wrote:

> lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote:
> > --debugmsg warn+dosfs is almost completely noise in most cases.  Just
> > take it out of the command line.
>
> OK, I've repeated the run of the Winblows98 installer, but without the
> dosfs warnings.  The log is at
>   http://www.kegel.com/wine/winblows98/install2.txt
> Again, this is with the Codeweavers preview 2 (codeweavers-wine-20010112-1).

Maybe I slept through something.  Are you trying to use Wine to install
billwins/youlose98?  I don't have any windows to kick around to know
what exactly it is, but an installer for an "OS" (loosely speaking) is
not usually an application of that "OS".  Wine runs windows
applications; to them it _is_ windows, of whatever --winver you tell it
to be, but it is not a virtual machine to run an "OS" or installer for
an "OS" on, and I doubt it ever will be.  I can see it would be handy to
be able to do what you are trying, to establish the infrastructure of
junk that windows applications are always refusing to run without some
pieces of, but I just don't see how it is going to work.

You might have better success with dosemu, which is sort of a limited
virtual machine, or vmware or bochs (if you are patient or have a fast
machine).

maybe dosemu would run this pig long enough for it to make a
tmp/<something> directory full of .cab files, and you could use
extract.exe to unpack those.  Wine can run extract.exe, and dosemu can
too.

> If I filter out the many heap warnings, I get a much shorter log (see below).
> Several of these look interesting to my untrained eye:
> - is it bad that I don't have a reg.dat?

I don't have one either, but nor do I have win98 to try to install.

> - is it bad that wine is looking in /etc/wine.{user,system}reg?
>   Shouldn't it be looking at ~/.wine/{user,system}reg.def?

Seems we are seeing only warn messages, so we only see what it looks for
and doesn't find, not what it actually uses.

> - ooh, no 16 or 32 bit USER sounds bad

User wasn't loaded at the time kernel went through THUNK_InitCallout, I
think.  When something refers to user32, it will fix this.  At least
that is how it is spoze to work.

> - The CreateFileA filename warning sounds bad
> etc.

I have never figured out what \(None) and \windows\(None) are for.
Every windows program seems to want them, but I don't know what for.

> Any suggestions?  I'm willing to carry out any debugging you can suggest.
> - Dan

--debugmsg +relay might give you a better idea of what is actually
happening, but of course it will be much longer.

> warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile 'reg.dat' not found or sharing violation
> warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile (reg.dat): return = HFILE_ERROR error= 2
> warn:reg:_get_wine_registry_file_format_version Couldn't open /etc/wine.userreg for reading: No such file or directory
> warn:reg:_get_wine_registry_file_format_version Couldn't open /etc/wine.systemreg for reading: No such file or directory
> warn:thunk:THUNK_InitCallout no 32-bit USER
> warn:thunk:THUNK_InitCallout no 16-bit USER
> warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler int22 not implemented, returning dummy handler
> warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler int23 not implemented, returning dummy handler
> warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler int24 not implemented, returning dummy handler
> warn:profile:PROFILE_Open profile file C:\WINDOWS\win.ini not found
> warn:palette:X11DRV_PALETTE_BuildSharedMap Not enough colors for the full system palette.
> warn:file:CreateFileA Unable to get full filename from '(None)' (GLE 2)
> warn:file:CreateFileA Unable to get full filename from 'C:\WINDOWS\(None)' (GLE 2)
> warn:msg:QUEUE_WakeSomeone couldn't find queue
> warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler intff not implemented, returning dummy handler
> warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile 'C:\WINDOWS\_delis43.ini' not found or sharing violation
> warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile (C:\WINDOWS\_delis43.ini): return = HFILE_ERROR error= 2
> warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile 'GDI.EXE' not found or sharing violation
> warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile (GDI.EXE): return = HFILE_ERROR error= 2
> warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile 'GDI.EX_' not found or sharing violation
> warn:file:FILE_DoOpenFile (GDI.EX_): return = HFILE_ERROR error= 2
> warn:dialog:MessageBox16 Messagebox

Maybe this is really the windows installer.  Seems it is trying to find
a compressed gdi.exe to uncompress.  I am pretty sure Wine has to use
its own builtin gdi to provide gdi services, you can't use the native
windows one even if it could find it.

> (That messagebox says "Setup is unable to initialize the language dialog box.
>   Error 106"   )

#define ERROR_SEM_USER_LIMIT                               106

(from <wine>/include/winerror.h)  ???

Can win98 run the win98 installer?  I bet it can't.  Why do you think
Wine should be able to?  Yes, we aim to be better than windows, bu
there is a limit.  Wine runs windows application programs without
windows.  It doesn't do windows.  Not win2, win3, win31, win9x, NT, none
of them.

Lawson

"When there's no plan, there's one less thing to go wrong."
-Joe Redington, 'Father of the Iditarod'