Half-Life sound problem

Markus Holzapfel benu at madrid.uni-paderborn.de
Thu Mar 8 07:44:07 CST 2001

Hi,

finally got HL to run at 1024 in opengl. But there are some things
which i'm not happy about:
1) Sound lags about 1 sec after the game, EAX doesn't work.
2) Some fonts don't get found (which messes up the scoreboard).

I'm running Mandrake7.2 with kernel 2.4.2 and XFree 4.0.1 and
nvidia's 0.9.6 drivers. Some things i've found out so far:
Using the nvidia agp driver hangs my system, the kernel agp
driver works fine (Option "NvAgp" "2" in the Screen section
of XF86Config-4). And i recompiled the NVdriver (enabling
SBA and AGP2x in os-registry.c, i also enabled FW but that
doesn't seem to work with my TNT2). I use the 20010112
with the transgaming and winehq diff patches.

Does anyone know how i can get better sound support? Do i have
to tweak HL settings (i tried _snd_mixahead) or can i set up
better sound in wine?
Has anyone a script which copies a win partion to a 'link
partition'? I noticed that the open file dialogue in media
player can't follow directory links so i wanted to set up
a mount point which had the same directory structure as
the win directory and used symlinks for the files. With
this setup it would be easy to replace links you need
write access to with a copy of the original file and keep
the win partition write protected. Something like
find /mnt/windows -type d -exec mkdir -p {} . \;
find /mnt/windows -type f -exec ln -s {} . \;
I'm starting to write such a script myself but if anyone
has a working solution ;-)
Thanks in advance,

Markus