unexpected async reply (sequence 0x20fb)! UPDATE

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at news.sloboda.baikal.ru
Mon Mar 26 07:41:36 CST 2001

I wrote:

> I just removed all my 242 Type1 fonts from X. I don't find it useful
> to have any limitation in using fonts. So, I dropped an idea to make
> fully functional PageMaker workstation under Linux with X. Although
> Adobe PageMaker 6.5 Russian Edition works very well for me under Wine.

That was true for P200MMX, 128 Mb RAM, RH 6.0, kernel 2.2.16, XFree86 3.3.6

On weekend, I installed 325 Type1, all TrueType fonts borrowed from
Win2000 plus some bitmap fonts installed by XFree 4.0.2.

Now I have the following machine:
PIII 667, 256 Mb RAM, RH 6.2, kernel 2.2.16, XFree 4.0.2

and...

COMPLETE SUCCESS!

For the record:
PageMaker at startup does

CreateFont
SelectObject
GetTextMetrics

for every font returned to it by EnumFonts.

I don't know, what component has become the crucial part of success: a more powerful
machine or XFree 4.0.2. On the first computer while PageMaker enumerates fonts, even
mouse is not moveable, and sometimes (approximately every 4th run) PageMaker is able
to finish its startup.