wine/problem with sound interference

Peter Petersen pepe-despamit-99 at gmx.net
Sat Mar 31 20:35:16 CST 2001

Stuart Brady <sbrady at nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>I care. And if you don't have anything better to contribute, you may as
>>well be quiet. i never complained about this fact, I only asked why this
>>is so, get it?
>
>Why can't you use a more recent Wine snapshot?

Hi!

Well, if more recent versions don't have this little problem, I will
do.
At the moment, I have two versions I use, one from mid 2000 and the
older one is really, well, very old... (It doesn't even give me an
option like wine --version).

But the reason for the occasional use of the early version is
socksifying Forte Agent (to reach one legitimate newsserver account of
mine that I can't reach with certain dial-ups, which is too stupid).

Okay, this is now a completely different topic:
But why can't wine be socksified any longer (for quite some time now)?
I remember someone (long ago) asking the same question, and yes, I
would also like to know about the latest "socksifiable" version of
wine (to use it in connection with "runsocks"), or are more recent
versions again socksifiable?

So to resume my two questions are:
- is that little sound conflict problem gone with the most recent
versions?
- and more important to me:
Which one is the latest version of wine which can be socksified?
(I have access to a shell account and my own socks server there, and I
have a newsserver account which I could (legitimately) reach that way,
but not with a not local dial-up, this is so crazy (being forced to
use my more expensive local dial-up just to be able to post on my
newsserver etc.).

thanks
and best regards
Peter